Washington County Introduces Recycle+
As of July 1, nine franchised haulers operating Washington County, eight of which operate in unincorporated Washington County, have started offering Recycle+, a new optional collection service for collection curbside not accepted in standard recycling. Below is a list of materials accepted. Visit the Recycle+ site to sign up and learn more about the program!
Materials accepted in the Recycle+ collection service:
- Plastic film/bags (also known as plastic film packaging): A soft, flexible polyethylene (PE) packaging. Bags must be free of food residue.
- Produce bags
- Plastic bags
- Dry cleaning bags
- Plastic padded envelopes (no padded manila envelopes)
- Plastic overwrap for paper towels, paper plates, napkins, etc.
- Clear plastic #1 clamshell containers: One-piece containers hinged on one side and stamped with #1PET or PETE. Containers must be clear and clean of food residue. No black or other color plastic containers.
- Fruit containers
- Egg cartons
- Bakery containers
- Take-out containers
- Bed linens
- Textiles are downcycled into wiping cloths and rags.
- Tip: Consider donating usable textiles to reuse organizations.
- Compact fluorescent light bulbs: A fluorescent lamp that is curved or folded to fit the space of a regular household lamp.
- Long fluorescent tubes used in commercial lighting are not accepted.
- Bulbs must be contained in a zip-sealed bag. This protects workers from mercury exposure should bulbs get broken during handling.